When Hadhrat Mufti Mahmood Hasan Saahib Gangohi (RA) sent his beloved student, Hadhrat Mufti Ahmad Kanpuri Saahib (db) to Dhabel to teach, he gave him 14 advices which is a great lesson for all teachers.
They are as follows;
1. Don’t look out for position and status. For example, Do not demand to teach a certain kitaab or ask to be posted to a certain position.
2. Don’t ever ask for money i.e. Do not ask for a particular amount as a salary or demand an increase in salary.
3. If someone tells you that you are not worthy of something then accept it and think in your heart that really I am not worth anything. The Madrasah authorities have seated me in this place. I make dua that Allah Ta’ala grants me the ability to teach these kitaabs.
4. If any student asks you a question, answer him with compassion even though the intent of his question is to insult you.
5. If you do not understand any section in your kitaab, perform two rakaats Salaatul Hajah and engage in fervent dua. Thereafter send some e-saale sawaab for the author of the book provided the author is a Muslim.
6. Refrain from explaining to the students the lessons of a kitaab that is taught by another teacher.
7. Don’t take personal service from the students. Hadhrat Thaanwi (RA) used to say that I regard it as haraam on myself to take khidmat (service) from any of my students or mureeds(disciples).
8. Don’t mix around too much with the students. Many of them have their own personal agendas.
9. Be thankful to the students for having presented to you the farms of their hearts to sow the seeds of your ilm. Otherwise your ilm would have remained untouched. Don’t ever feel that you are doing them a favour.
10. Students ask questions for different reasons. Some ask to show their capability and position whilst others ask just to irritate the ustaadh. Answer every question positively and with wisdom. Don’t answer in a debating manner.
11. Daily recite Surah Ikhlaas three times and send the rewards to the authors of the books that you are teaching, provided they are Muslims.
12. If you said something incorrect in the class don’t hesitate to retract your statement.
13. Don’t ever teach any book without mutaa-lah (preparation).
14. Don’t miss out your maamoolaat, Zikr, tasbeeh and tilaawat because of your commitment to teaching.
(Hadhrat Mufti Mahmood Hasan Gangohi Rahmatullahi Alayhi His life and works, Pg 259,260)